Normally any interviewer tries to check whether a candidate is suitable for the present job or not. Based on the type of job or job profile, the interview asks basic questions from different subjects. If the student has grasped the engineering syllabus or course from the basic concepts point of view, he/she must be able to answer the following questions. Read the following interview questions about the 'thermodynamics' subject. These questions might be helpful in the GATE examination too.
Part-1: Important interview questions about mechanical engineering - Thermodynamics
1. When a real gas behaves like an ideal gas?
Ans: A real gas behaves like an ideal gas in low pressure and high-temperature conditions.
2. What is the significance of entropy?
Ans: As per the second law of thermodynamics, any heat input to the system (Heat engine) cannot be converted completely into useful work. Some energy is lost and that is called 'unavailable work'. The number of unavailable work increases as entropy increases.
3. What is the difference between heat transfer and thermodynamics?
Ans: Heat transfer deals with the energy analysis which in transition and depends on the modes of heat transfer like conduction, convection, and radiation or combination of any modes. Heat transfer deals in nonequilibrium domain and conditions while thermodynamics deals with study of the system at equilibrium and does not depend on how heat transfer is calculated.
4. At which temperature thermal radiation can become zero?
Ans: Not possible. Because thermal radiation becomes only zero at absolute zero temperature which can never be attained by the third law of thermodynamics.
5. Why Specific heat at constant pressure is greater than Specific heat at constant volume?
6. What is the significance of the compressibility factor?
7. What is a dead state in thermodynamics?
8. Which thermodynamics law is first discovered?
Read more interview questions here.
For Answers: Wait for Part-2 Important interview questions about mechanical engineering - Thermodynamics